IVRC Birds of a Feather (BoF) in SIGRAPH2012
IVRC Birds of a Feather (BoF) in SIGRAPH2012, Aug 5th.
The 11th Birds of a Feather Meeting on IVRC: International collegiate Virtual Reality Contest
Los Angeles Convention Center, Room 402A
SUNDAY, 5 AUGUST 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
1. Los Angeles Convention Center, Room 402A SUNDAY, 5 AUGUST 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM http://ivrc.net
2. You have a chance to get this annual DVD report on the end of this Birds of a Feather session…
3. Akihiko SHIRAI, Ph.D IVRC Executive Committee Chair of Laval Virtual ReVolution Associate Professor of Information Media KAIT (Kanagawa Institute of Technology) JAPAN
4. Agenda - IVRC BoF in SIGGRAPH 2012 12:00 Opening: Akihiko SHIRAI (Executive Committee / KAIT) 12:05 Keynote: Prof. TACHI (Chair of IVRC, Univ KEIO) 12:15 Laval Virtual : Matthieu LEPINE (Director of Laval Virtual) 12:25 IVRC2012: Presentation stage and Nominated Projects 12:45 Next for SIGGRAPH ASIA 2012: Prof. INAMI (KEIO) 12:55 Conclusion / Photo session
5. Professor Susumu TACHI Chair of IVRC Executive Committee Keio University Graduate School of Media Design
6. What is IVRC? International collegiate Virtual Reality Contest establish in 1993 A contest of interaction and virtual reality by fusing art and technology. Honors the greatest Virtual Reality and Interactive works of students. New educational system through VR contest.
7. What is IVRC? Organized by Virtual Reality Society of Japan. Supported by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Technology. Held in Miraikan, National science museum of Emerging Science and Innovation. Virtual Reality Society of Japan http://www.vrsj.org/
8. History of IVRC and Presence at SIGGRAPH Founded by Professor Susumu TACHI in 1993. 1993 First IVRC established and held in Tokyo as a part of ICAT 2002 First Appearance of IVRC work, Virtual Chambara
9. The First Presence at ACM SIGGRAPH 2002 IVRC Committee helps the champion team submit to SIGGRAPH as a reward to the winner. ➢ “Virtual Chambara”, SIGGRAPH2002 “Virtual Chambara”, SIGGRAPH 2002
10. History of IVRC Presence at SIGGRAPH 2002 First presence of IVRC work, Virtual Chambara 2003 THE DIMENSION BOOK 2004 Fragra / Dis-Tansu 2005 Straw-like user interface / Kobito: Virtual Brownies / Ton2 2006 bubble cosmos / INVISIBLE ~The Shadow Chaser~ / Powder Screen: A Virtual Materializer …..
11. History of IVRC Presence at SIGGRAPH 2007 BYU-BYU-View / CoGAME 2008 Ants in the Pants / Landscape Bartender 2009 Baby type robot “YOTARO” / Back to the mouth / Funbrella: making rain fun 2010 Haptic Canvas 2011 Mommy Tummy
12. History of IVRC and Presence at SIGGRAPH Founded by Professor Susumu TACHI in 1993. 1993 First IVRC established and held in Tokyo as a part of ICAT 2002 First Appearance of IVRC work, Virtual Chambara 2003 THE DIMENSION BOOK 2004 Fragra / Dis-Tansu 2005 Straw-like user interface / Kobito: Virtual Brownies / Ton2 2006 bubble cosmos / INVISIBLE ~The Shadow Chaser~ / Powder Screen: A Virtual Materializer 2007 BYU-BYU-View / CoGAME 2008 Ants in the Pants / Landscape Bartender 2009 Baby type robot “YOTARO” / Back to the mouth / Funbrella: making rain fun 2010 Haptic Canvas 2011 Mommy Tummy
13. Agreement on International Cooperation at Laval Virtual 2004 Prof. S. Tachi (IVRC) J.F. Fontaine (Laval Virtual) IVRC and Laval Virtual will maintain an award partnership for three years (2004-2007): the Laval Virtual Award at the IVRC in Japan, the IVRC Award at “Laval Virtual’s Le Village de la Creations” in France.
14. International Cooperation with Laval Virtual “The winner of the IVRC Award in France will be invited to the Tokyo stage of the IVRC in Japan as a challenger. Similarly, the winner of the Laval Virtual Award in Japan will be invited to the final stage of Virtual Fantasy, category “Demos”, student competition of Laval Virtual, in France as a challenger. Conditions of invitation will be defined every year by each part of this agreement.” Laval City Sound Forest Jory Jory
15. Agreement on International Cooperation in Virtual Reality and Entertainment Technology Prof. Susumu Tachi (Chair of IVRC) Michelle Macau (ETC) Ambassador Agent for Donald Marinelli Executive Producer of ETC Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) Entertainment Technology Center (ETC) and International collegiate Virtual Reality Contest (IVRC), in recognition of the growing importance of the roles Virtual Reality and Entertainment Technology play in the 21st century, have come to the agreement: http://ivrc.net/
16. Partnership in SIGGRAPH 2010 Don Marinelli Executive producer of ETC
17. International Cooperation with ETC, CMU “Project Mirage” (IVRC2010), “Blogstacle Course” (IVRC2011)
18. New for IVRC2012 Semi final at the annual conference of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan (12-14th September, Yokohama) Demonstration in academic conference Grand final in Digital Contents EXPO 2012 (25-27th October, Tokyo) Demonstration in Public U-18: Youth section IVRC U-18 Youth section
19. Partnership program Thanks for all partnership! You can join from $1000 donation
22. Thank you for your attention ➢Since 2005 promote interactive techniques to pubic ➢13th – 14th , September, 2008 at Miraikan The biggest science museum in Tokyo ➢Tokyo Stage of IVRC ➢Inviting important interactive works. from SIGGRAPH 2008 New Tech Demo / ACE (Advance in Computer Entertainment) 2008 and more ➢Organized by Professor Tachi and VRSJ (Virtual Reality Society of Japan) http://ivrc.net/ http://ivrc.net/
23. Matthieu LEPINE Director of Laval Virtual FRANCE
24. ▪ Laval Virtual ▪ Laval Virtual in few words ▪ Where is Laval? ▪ Why in Laval? ▪ Laval Virtual and IVRC ▪ History ▪ Laval Virtual Awards at IVRC ▪ And if you don’t win during IVRC…
25. Laval Virtual In few words Created in 1999 LV gathers scientists, professionals, students and general public During 5 days Topics: virtual/mixed/augmented reality, haptic, realtime 3D, interactive techniques, robotic, converging technologies ▪ Professional Exhibition – Le Salon ▪ Scientific & Professional Conference – VR Mix ▪ Demonstration Contest – ReVolution ▪ Student Competition – Virtual Fantasy ▪ Awards Ceremony - Laval Virtual Awards
26. Laval Virtual Where is Laval? North-West part of France Close to Brittany 1h30 from Paris by High-Speed Train (TGV) Middle-size city: 50,000 inhabitants Typical Mediaval French city PARIS LAVAL
27. Laval Virtual Why in Laval? Since 1999, Laval became a Pole of Excellence in Virtual Reality Start-up incubator Research Laboratories Higher Education Technology Center (4-side CAVE, haptic devices, VR workbench…) In 2010, we have founded the cluster LVRC (Laval Virtual Reality Capital)
28. Laval Virtual and IVRC History Cooperation between Laval Virtual and IVRC begun in 2003 Sharing demonstrations between France and Japan for the mutual promotion of Virtual Reality and Knowledge Ants in the pants (2008) Yotaro (2009) Column Gear (2010) Petanko Roller (2012) Jory Jory (2011) Winner 2013 ???
29. Laval Virtual and IVRC Laval Virtual Awards at IVRC Winner of Laval Virtual Award will be announced during IVRC 2012 A team (3 members) will be invited for Laval Virtual 2013 - round-flight tickets, train - hotel - food
30. And if you don’t win at IVRC… What happens? You have another chance to be selected. How? Submit your demo to ReVolution, international demonstration contest Further information on: http://www.laval-virtual.org/revolution (website will be updated soon)
32. International Cooperation with ETC, CMU “Blobstacle Course”, IVRC2011
33. University of Technology of Compiègne, FRANCE “Light ‘n’ Gadgets”, IVRC2011
34. Grand prix “Petanko Roller” (Keio, JAPAN)
35. IVRC2012: Nominated Projects “Anatomia” ESCIN FRANCE
37. IVRC2012: Nominated Projects AutoReverse-Revolutions Gifu University three times ViVi-EAT The University of Electro-Communications The Soul's Release Virtual Doctor Fish Japan Advanced Institute of Science and TechnologyGrilled fish set Polka Dot - The garden of the water spirits Osaka University smart tap water “a” Keio University panai Augmented Nodogoshi University of Tsukuba Nodogoshi the best Dried bonito display The University of Electro-Communications Bonito motion Puppet-Tone Osaka University CYURI Pearch on My Arm! Keio University Karuku Haruku ando-ro-n Tokyo Metropolitan University dronjo-six Shounen Marumaru moment magazine Kanagawa Institute of Technology Berry Cube
38. Professor Masahiko INAMI SIGGRAPH ASIA 2012 Emerging Technologies Char Univ Keio, Japan
39. Agenda 12:00 Opening: Akihiko SHIRAI (Executive Committee / KAIT) 12:05 Keynote: Prof. TACHI (Chair of IVRC, Univ KEIO) 12:15 Laval Virtual : Matthieu LEPINE (Director of Laval Virtual) 12:25 IVRC2012: Presentation stage and Nominated Projects 12:45 Next for SIGGRAPH ASIA 2012: Prof. INAMI (KEIO) 12:55 Conclusion / Photo session
40. Partnership program Thanks for all partnership! You can join from $1000 donation
42. Photo Session See you next BoF at SIGGRAPH2013…!